Upcoming Training Events
There are currently no training opportunities available.
Completed Training Events
4th Petrophysics Summer School (2019, CPD accredited)
The Petrophysics Summer School was once again hosted at the University of Leicester, for the fourth consecutive year. Following the same format as in previous years, the School took place between 30 June and 5 July 2019. More information.
Navigating the IODP proposal system (a Magellan+ workshop)
This 3-day workshop hosted at the National Oceanography Centre, Southampton from 24 to 26 September 2018 planned to demystify the IODP proposal system for early career researchers and PhD students.
3rd Petrophysics Summer School (2018, CPD-accredited)
The third in the series of Petrophysics Summer School was hosted at the University of Leicester, providing the 21 participants with an introduction to petrophysics including real-world oil industry and IODP case studies. Participants received training in Techlog software, visited the Weatherford facility at East Leake as well as the British Geological Survey National Core Repository, and had a go at measuring the physical properties of cores.
- 1-6 July 2018, University of Leicester
- 21 participants from 5 countries (by institution; 10 by nationality) attended with over half having received generous bursaries/scholarships from USSSP (10) and ECORD (1).
- Read the blog.
- More information.
Impact & Policy Training for Early Career Researchers
This one-day training programme, included a morning session centred on understanding impact and building it into research plans. The afternoon session focused on impact through public policy. Delivered by communications consultancy Bulletin, the training equipped the 6 participants with key tools, ensuring they leave with a clear appreciation of impact and how to realise it.
- Tuesday 16 January 2018 at the University of Leicester
- The course was provided free and with T&S costs covered via the UK IODP KEF.
- Participants: Rehemat Bhatia (UCL); Michelle Harris (Plymouth); Gordon Inglis (Bristol); Sue Mahony (Bristol); David Naafs (Bristol); Charlotte Spencer-Jones (Durham)
Policy Training for Mid-Career & Senior Scientists
This focused one-day training event, included a morning session centred on understanding the generation of impact through public policy. Former MP, Nick Palmer provided an informal briefing on giving evidence to Select Committees over lunch. The remainder of the day was dedicated to a session on policy briefs, including development of a brief, receiving detailed feedback from the instructor. Delivered by communications consultancy Bulletin, the training equipped participants with key tools to enable them to develop their own strategies to communicate relevant research to policy makers.
- Thursday 18 January 2018, Central London (The Bridge)
- The course was provided free and T&S costs were covered via the UK IODP KEF.
- Participants: Carrie Lear (Cardiff); Paola Vannucchi (RHUL)
2nd Petrophysics Summer School (2017, CPD-accredited)
This week-long summer school, hosted at the University of Leicester provided the 30 participants with an introduction to petrophysics including a series of real world oil industry and IODP case studies. Participants visited the Weatherford facility at East Leake as well as the British Geological Survey National Core Repository.
- 2-7 July 2017, University of Leicester
- 30 participants from 10 countries (by institution; 18 by nationality) attended with over half having received generous bursaries/scholarships from USSSP (9), ECORD (5) and UK IODP (2).
- Read the blog.
- More information.
1st Petrophysics Summer School (2016)
This first summer school in petrophysics was motivated by the skills gap and associated absence of affordable training opportunities in the field of petrophysics. The summer school initiative has brought together an international team of experts from across industry and academia to provide a comprehensive training course.