Upcoming Training Events
3rd Petrophysics Summer School (2018)
For more information on the summer school and how to apply click here. Deadline for applications: 23 March 2018
Completed Training Events
Impact & Policy Training for Early Career Researchers
This one-day training programme, included a morning session centred on understanding impact and building it into research plans. The afternoon session focused on impact through public policy. Delivered by communications consultancy Bulletin, the training equipped the 6 participants with key tools, ensuring they leave with a clear appreciation of impact and how to realise it.
- Tuesday 16 January 2018 at the University of Leicester
- The course was provided free and with T&S costs covered via the UK IODP KEF.
- Participants: Rehemat Bhatia (UCL); Michelle Harris (Plymouth); Gordon Inglis (Bristol); Sue Mahony (Bristol); David Naafs (Bristol); Charlotte Spencer-Jones (Durham)
Policy Training for Mid-Career & Senior Scientists
This focused one-day training event, included a morning session centred on understanding the generation of impact through public policy. Former MP, Nick Palmer provided an informal briefing on giving evidence to Select Committees over lunch. The remainder of the day was dedicated to a session on policy briefs, including development of a brief, receiving detailed feedback from the instructor. Delivered by communications consultancy Bulletin, the training equipped participants with key tools to enable them to develop their own strategies to communicate relevant research to policy makers.
- Thursday 18 January 2018, Central London (The Bridge)
- The course was provided free and T&S costs were covered via the UK IODP KEF.
- Participants: Carrie Lear (Cardiff); Paola Vannucchi (RHUL)
2nd Petrophysics Summer School (2017, CPD-accredited)
This week-long summer school, hosted at the University of Leicester provided the 30 participants with an introduction to petrophyiscs including a series of real world oil industry and IODP case studies. Participants visited the Weatherford facility at East Leake as well as the British Geological Survey National Core Repository.
- 2-7 July 2017, University of Leicester
- 30 participants from 10 countries (by institution; 18 by nationality) attended with over half having received generous bursaries/scholarships from USSSP (9), ECORD (5) and UK IODP (2).
- More information.
1st Petrophysics Summer School (2016)
This first summer school in petrophysics was motivated by the skills gap and associated absence of affordable training opportunities in the field of petrophysics. The summer school initiative has brought together an international team of experts from across industry and academia to provide a comprehensive training course.
- 26 June to 1 July 2016, University of Leicester
- 30 participants from 11 countries (by institution; 19 by nationality) attended with nearly half having received generous bursaries/scholarships from USSSP (10), ECORD (3) and UK IODP (1).
- More information.