Impact Story Portfolio
Download the Impact Story Portfolio or individual Impact Stories now!
Context for climate change – Totally taxonomic! – Pioneers and public data – Global explosive eruption record – Understanding unprecedented earthquakes – De-risking hydrocarbon prospects – Mega-earthquake, rapid response – Prophetic forams – Sub-sea mining mission – Inspirational IODP
UK IODP Impact Narratives
- NERC’s Planet Earth Spring/Summer 2018 edition contains an IODP feature highlighting geohazard-related research arising from NOC and Cardiff University.
- In October 2017, UK IODP presented a poster featuring 4 impact case studies at the AAPG-ICE meeting in London. The poster and abstract are available online.
- In September 2017, UK IODP was featured in Impact Publication including a series of case studies of impactful UK research. A copy of the article is available here: UKIODP_ImpactPublication
- The development of an online taxonomic database for academic and industrial biostratigraphers by UK IODP researchers at University College London, was featured in GEOExPro vol 12 no. 6
- Landmark Exploration Insights, which utilises DSDP/ODP/IODP data for populating its interactive globally consistent Global Earth Model, was featured with UK IODP in GEOExPro vol 12 no. 6 in 2016
NERC defines ‘impact’ as the demonstrable contribution that excellent research makes to society and the economy. This includes:
- UK competitive advantage: creating and growing new national and international markets and businesses, attracting inward foreign investment.
- UK policy leadership: informing policy and regulation (for example, through understanding the process of environmental change).
- Improving UK business performance: improving and optimising existing business.
- Transforming UK public service: enhancing public health and wellbeing; saving the public sector money; enabling a resilient society.
The UK IODP Programme Advisory Group are developing a case for the renewal of the UK’s subscription to IODP in 2018. As part of this endeavour impact arising from IODP science undertaken in the UK is continuously being identified and catalogued.