Impact Story Portfolio
Download the Impact Story Portfolio or individual Impact Stories now!
Context for climate change – Totally taxonomic! – Pioneers and public data – Global explosive eruption record – Understanding unprecedented earthquakes – De-risking hydrocarbon prospects – Mega-earthquake, rapid response – Prophetic forams – Sub-sea mining mission – Inspirational IODP
UK IODP Impact Narratives
- NERC’s Planet Earth Spring/Summer 2018 edition contains an IODP feature highlighting geohazard-related research arising from NOC and Cardiff University.
- In October 2017, UK IODP presented a poster featuring 4 impact case studies at the AAPG-ICE meeting in London. The poster and abstract are available online.
- In September 2017, UK IODP was featured in Impact Publication including a series of case studies of impactful UK research. A copy of the article is available here: UKIODP_ImpactPublication
- The development of an online taxonomic database for academic and industrial biostratigraphers by UK IODP researchers at University College London, was featured in GEOExPro vol 12 no. 6
- Landmark Exploration Insights, which utilises DSDP/ODP/IODP data for populating its interactive globally consistent Global Earth Model, was featured with UK IODP in GEOExPro vol 12 no. 6 in 2016
NERC defines ‘impact’ as the demonstrable contribution that excellent research makes to society and the economy. This includes:
- UK competitive advantage: creating and growing new national and international markets and businesses, attracting inward foreign investment.
- UK policy leadership: informing policy and regulation (for example, through understanding the process of environmental change).
- Improving UK business performance: improving and optimising existing business.
- Transforming UK public service: enhancing public health and wellbeing; saving the public sector money; enabling a resilient society.
We are continuously looking for evidence of any impact arising from IODP science undertaken in the UK. GET IN TOUCH…..